Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Quips from Grandpa

This morning I pulled into my aunt and uncle's driveway at 5:53 a.m. and shortly thereafter John and I left to go hiking up Old Baldy. It was a great hike! It was super muddy but luckily I am the granddaughter of Jeanne Becht because less than 12 hours later and my shoes look brand new. The woman loves doing laundry, thats for sure!

After the hike I quickly went home and got cleaned up and went to work. I was asked to attend the executive board meeting which was quite interesting and may have convinced me I need to work there for several decades but I was there until after 6 p.m. So, I didn't get a whole lot of time with The Grands. When I got home I walked out to the shop and helped my grandpa with the truck seat he is upholstering for a friend.

My grandpa tends to be a man of very few words and he is the only person in the world I could sit with for days and days and not need to say anything. However, tonight he was unusually chatty! As he was taking stitches out he kept saying, "Ooops." Then he went into describing a friend he used to fish with in St. Paul who was a surgeon and would always say that the most commonly used word in the surgery room was, "Oops."

We continued to talk about how we both have a hidden love for the good old kind of country music, particularly Willie Nelson and Johnny Cash. I also informed him that when I was little I used to think I was the only Sanna in the entire world and was rather crushed when I realized I wasn't. I used to also think that I would never meet another Roger and that my grandpa was the only one I would ever know. Also not true. One of our volunteers at the fish hatchery is named Roger (and actually knows my Roger). This new Roger and I had a lovely conversation on Sunday at the Father's Day Brunch but I may have to rename him.

When we were about to walk back to the house for supper we stopped to collect eggs. Here is a tidbit of information that I learned this week and probably never would have if I wasn't living in Spearfish for the summer. When chickens are old enough to lay eggs but not quite full-sized yet their eggs are called pullet eggs and are quite smaller than normal eggs, nearly half the size of the eggs we are used to. Like I said, I would never have learned that if I wasn't living with Roger.

No comments:

Post a Comment