Saturday, July 9, 2011

Mid-Morning As Only My Grandpa and I Could Do

My plan for this morning was to ride my bike into town and check out the farmer's market in the park. When I got my bike out of the garage the front tire was completely flat. Who are you going to call? GRANDPA! We had to spend about an hour searching through the garage and his shop, chasing two chickens back into the coop and rescuing a baby bird trapped in the shop before we found the connector for the air compressor.

The farmer's market was quite small and I knew half the people there but it was still lovely. I stuck my feet in Spearfish Creek before hopping back on my bike. As is often the case, I had the urge to buy something while I was in town. Solution? I checked out two books from the library. When I got home my grandpa and I decided we would have hot dogs and baked beans for lunch around 12:30 and I went out to sit on the deck with a handful of blueberries and a book to read. At 12:05 he came out and said he was hungry and was going to start the hot dogs. At 12:07 he said he couldn't find them and there were only a few beans and asked if I wanted to go to Barbacoas. Hells yes I did. We were dogsitting Finn and Scout this morning so we had to clear out my grandpa's Expedition to make room for our four-legged passengers before we could leave.

The Expedition was still filled with stuff he had brought back from my aunt's house during a trip to Sioux Falls about a month ago. Among these items was a cradle that held the newborn babies that were my mom, both my aunts, me and Brytten and Sam and Camille. Because of family placement it is accepted that I will be the next one in my family to have a baby. My grandpa is taking that fact very seriously.

As he pulled the box with the cradle in it out of the expedition this conversation transpired:

Grandpa: "Here's your cradle. You know what they say at the Fillin' Station?"
Me: "What?"
Grandpa: "Fill 'er up!"

Ufdah. I would like everyone to remember that I am 20 years, 1 month and 9 days old.

Barbacoas was great and we topped it off with our mutual favorite treat, Maple Nut Goodies purchased at Menards. My grandma was mad and now we are having hot dogs and baked beans for supper from the supply of two packages of hot dogs and seven cans of beans that were in the downstairs pantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment