Monday, July 2, 2012

Summer Reading

Summer is the season of sunshine, hammocks, swimming, hiking, and of course reading. From the time we are able to read we start drafting a summer reading list. Much to my mother's unwarranted perplexity, I read the same four books every summer to kick off my own summer reading list. I, of course, then add new reads to the list but I think of these four as a staple to my summer. My absolute favorite book, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, is the foundation of my summer and I make it a personal goal to get as many of my friends as possible to adopt it as their favorite book as well.

I blogged about this book last summer here and quoted some of my favorite quips and passages. It was interesting to read it again this summer and underline/highlight/dog-ear different parts of the book that jumped out at me. That's the thing about reading the same book multiple times... It stays the same but you are different. Thus its definitely like reading a totally different book, Mother! And she is the woman that reads books multiple times simply because she forgets that she has already read them. At least I do it with a purpose.

And now here is what 2012 decided were my favorite parts of this lovely book:


“Susan Scott said you took to the audience at the luncheon like a drunkard to rum - and they to you.”
Ok, maybe I just liked this line because this happens to be the summer I turned 21...
“I can’t think of anything lonelier than spending the rest of my life with someone I can’t talk to, or worse, someone I can’t be silent with.” 
So true...
“The hairs, they are a disaster.”
This is my sentiment basically every day..
“He had no imagination, either- fatal for one engaged in child-rearing.”
After living with my mom again I realize that an imagination is necessary in one's hopes of being a good parent...
“I am a grown woman - mostly - and I can guzzle champagne with whomever I choose.” 
Again, that whole turning 21 thing...
“I didn’t ask if you were in love with him, I asked what his favorite animal was.”
That is obviously an important characteristic in a person
“... defying her will be such a pleasure.”
I have become quite defiant in the last year
“increasing personhood”
This may be one of the loveliest things I have ever read. I hope I have increasing personhood throughout all my days.

“Now he talks to himself, which I find terribly endearing since I do, too.” 
Who doesn't? 
“I remember lying in our hay-loft reading The Secret Garden with a cowbell beside me. I’d read for an hour and then ring the bell for a glass of lemonade to be brought to me. Mrs. Hutchins, the cook, finally grew weary of this arrangement and told my mother, and that was the end of my cowbell, but not my reading in the hay.” 
This is precisely why summer reading is so necessary 

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I always remember I have already read the book...eventually....once I get into it a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or... once you have finished it!

    ReplyDelete