Monday, July 23, 2012

Go Girl!

I am obviously thrilled every time I receive a request to comment on an article on my blog. This article, "11 Brilliant Businesswomen Who Were Way Ahead of Their Time" is probably my favorite I have been asked to include on my own blog. The entire article can be found here: http://www.onlinemba.com/blog/11-brilliant-businesswomen-who-were-way-ahead-of-their-time/

This article not only highlights these 11 highly impressive women, but also stresses the importance of women in societies no matter what era they may live during or what field they contributed to. The women comprising this list either didn't see obvious hindrances in their lives or simply chose not to see them, which is usually the best option.

As a Peer Advisor for freshman college women, I try to research and develop my own ideas on how to inspire young women to strive for all that they can be but may not realize it yet. Often, we can feel somewhat depleted by our backgrounds and lack of what we feel are necessary means to attain our biggest and greatest goals. Or more frustratingly, young women feel as though they ought not strive for humongous goals because there are better people suited for such plans. Incredibly false.

Nike had it right when they said, "Just Do It." Several of my girls can attest to me saying these three words quite frequently.

Of course, all 11 of these women are phenomenal but these two stood out to me because of my own interests.

This list presents Mary Katherine Goddard as the first woman to have a paper published under her name. I really liked reading about her because she truly did not see any limits in what she could do or wanted to do in her lifetime. She did everything from being the first female postmaster to running a bookshop. Her printing company even printed the first copies of the Declaration of Independence.

Mary Katherine Goddard


Also included in the list was Christine de Pizan who was considered Europe's first female professional writer. She supported herself and her children during the 1400's not only writing but marketing herself as a writer. Additionally she is considered one of the first working single mothers.

Christine de Pizan

No comments:

Post a Comment