Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Lovely Book

Summer is the best reading season. You can read which ever books you want to read and the best part is you can read them while swaying in a hammock and eating a popsicle.

One of my favorite books is "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society." I read it for the first time last summer and then of course made a lot of my friends and their moms read it as well. It is composed entirely of letters between the main character Juliet, a writer, who is interested in potentially writing a book about the effects the German Occupation had on the tiny island of Guernsey in the English Channel during World War II. The letters are between her and her editor, her best friend, and the residents of Guernsey who founded the literary society. It is truly lovely and is a book about loving books. I have decided that I will read it every summer and when I have my own library in my house someday it will receive a special spot on my bookshelf. I will also visit Guernsey at some point in my life.


During this second reading, I underlined some of my favorite passages that exemplify why books are so wonderful.

Perhaps there is some secret sort of homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers. 


Men are more interesting in books than they are in real life.


Am I in love with him? What kind of a question is that? It's a tuba among the flutes, and I expect better of you. 


I think you learn more if you're laughing at the same time. 


Do you live by the river? I hope so, because people who live near running water are much nicer than people who don't. I'd be mean as a scorpion if I lived inland. 


Lovely.


4 comments:

  1. I think my grandma has told me about this book, haha, it sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is absolutely wonderful! Becca read it last summer too! Read it Jenny-fer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell how much you liked the book since you used your favorite word to describe it. Also, I hope you saw the beginning of Jeffrey's facebook post about his daughter's theater career: Horton Hears a Hit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is indeed my favorite word Sir Thad! Haha I checked out Jeffrey's post... hilarious!

    ReplyDelete