Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Life of a Dorm-Room Dweller

As I prepare for a fourth and final year living in a dorm room in a building built in the 1960's I have realized that I am very good at making the smallest, somewhat bleak spaces into a lovely place to live. I was quite impressed by my 12' 1/5" x 15' 9" room and the fact that Solberg has a laundry room, a fake fireplace and roof access that I just so happen to know about. But then I was asked by Bestcollegesonline.com to incorporate a recent article, "The 10 Most Modern Dorms in the World" from their blog into one of my posts.

Check out the article here: http://www.bestcollegesonline.com/blog/2012/02/29/the-10-most-modern-dorms-in-the-world/

Wow! These dorms are absolutely astounding! My personal favorite was Tietgen Dormitory at Copenhagen University. I did a post about windows back in December. I would love to live in one of these 'windows in the skies.'

tietgen-dormitory-2.jpg
Tietgen Dormitory at Copenhagen University
Another intriguing building is Cite A Docks, a dorm building at Royaume-Uni in La Havre, France. This building is made entirely of shipping containers.

sh 290910 06 Ingenious Project : 100 Student Dorm Rooms Made From Shipping Containers
Cite A Docks at Royaume-Uni
Ok so these truly epic buildings might seem like they put good ol' Solbergio to shame but this lovely building that I have called home for nearly three years is still one of my favorite places in the world!

1 comment:

  1. DEFINITELY the most interesting dorms I've ever seen :) great blog!

    ReplyDelete